Monday, November 7, 2011

Let the Journey Begin!

Welcome to my weight loss blog!

I’ve decided to document this new chapter of my life through this blog so that I will not only be able to see what progress has been made, but so that hopefully I can inspire someone else to change their life as well.

I figure this way I’m held accountable because all eyes are on me.  If I slip up, everyone will see it.  Everyone says, “why would you wanna put yourself out there like that?”  Well, I look at it like this…..it’s no big secret that I’m overweight.  Anybody with eyes can see that much.  At least this way they can also see that I’m trying to do something about it.  There is a stereotype that fat people are lazy.  Not true.  There is a stereotype that fat people sit around and eat all day long on the couch watching tv.  Not true.  In my case, I just have sucky metabolism coupled with PCOS and Insulin Resistance.  Yay!

So here we go.  Let me give you a little background.

My weight has always fluctuated, but the past 5 years or so I have been stuck at the same point.  I have tried every diet out there.  I have joined every exercise class known to man.  I have been at the gym 5 and 6 days a week working out for an hour or more at times.  Not a single pound has budged.  So finally, I said enough is enough.  I need to be healthy for my family and for myself.  I want to feel good about myself again.

I went to the doctor this past Friday and with her help we formulated a plan.  I am to keep a food and activity diary.  I am on a low fat, high fiber diet.  I am to exercise daily.  She wants me to walk 2 miles each day (geez) on top of any other form of exercise I can squeeze in there.  I’m to drink water water water.  Sodas and sweets only one day a week and don’t go crazy.  And, since my metabolism sucks….take one prescription phentermine a day for one month and come back to see her and see how I’m doing.

Technically, today was to be Day 1 of my plan, but since I’m a weenie I chickened out on taking my pill this morning.  O_o  The internet is a wonderful thing unless you are looking up things pertaining to your health.  Then, if you’re like me, you get all paranoid and freaked out.  I was inspired by the tons of success stories I read about people who took the phen for a month or so and were able to finally lose some weight.  Then it was counteracted by the horror stories that I read about with others who didn’t have such a great experience with it.  What I have to keep reminding myself of is this….. If the pills don’t harm me, the obesity will.  So I’m taking a risk either way.  Obviously I need a “kick start” to my new lifestyle and the doctor thinks that this is it. 

So, with that said, I have decided that tomorrow is Day 1.  Stay tuned…..

No comments:

Post a Comment