Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Yummylicious Chicken Enchiladas


So I have been trying to come up with the PERFECT enchilada recipe for months now and I think I’m finally there!  I made enchiladas for my Sunday dinner crowd this week and everyone raved about them.  So this one might be a keeper!  The recipe that I used fed 8 people, so you can trim it down for the quantity that you need or you can make it as is and freeze for later!  

You Will Need:
2-3 pounds of chicken breasts or tenders
1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 can green chilis (I can’t remember the ounces on this one, but it was small.  I might use two next time though)
1 15oz can green enchilada sauce
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 8oz package of cream cheese
1 package of shredded quesadilla cheese
1 package of shredded Mexican cheese (the Kraft or store brand)
½ can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
15oz can of red enchilada sauce
16 burrito size soft tortillas (depending on how full you fill them, you may need more or less)

To Prepare:
You will be cooking the chicken in the crockpot (high for 6 hours or low for 8).  Combine the crushed tomatoes, green chilis, green enchilada sauce, taco seasoning, and half of the red enchilada sauce in a crockpot and mix well.  Add chicken and let cook.

Once the chicken is done, remove from sauce and shred.  Return to the sauce after shredding and mix well.  Add the cream cheese to the chicken mixture and stir until melted and mixed well.

In a small dish, mix your ½ can of cream of chicken soup with your one cup of sour cream.  Set aside for now.

Line the bottom of your backing dish (if cooking this recipe as is, you will need two 9x13 pans) with the other half of the red enchilada sauce.

Begin filling your tortilla shells with the chicken mixture and placing them seam side down in the baking dish.  Once you have filled the baking dish, bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes until the tops of the tortillas are browned. 

Remove from oven and spread the sour cream mixture on top of the enchiladas.  Top with copious amounts of the quesadilla and Mexican blend cheese.  Return to oven to bake for about 15 more minutes or until cheese is bubbly and melted.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Oh yum!! Those sounds SO SO delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They ARE delicious! One of my favorite meals! Definitely not the healthiest though lol. So I try not to make them often. Next time I'll take a picture! I'm one of those who likes to see a picture when I read a recipe. It helps me decide whether I'll make it or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Chicken Enchiladas! Well, I like Chimichangas the most, but they are REALLY bad for you, so I go for the enchiladas. I need to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete