Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire


I’ve been thrown back into the reading world full force lately and the books I’ve been reading have been amazing!  The latest book that I flew through (literally could not put it down…even had dreams about it) was Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire.  Oh my gosh…..SUCH a good book!  I was drawn into the book from the first page.  For those of you who have not read the book yet, I’m not going to go into extreme detail, but I do want to talk about a few things in the book.  So if you don’t want to continue reading, now is your chance to stop!

The book is about a girl who is running from her past when she basically runs right into the arms of the resident bad ass on campus.  The book chronicles their tug of war with both internal and external factors as they try to figure out what their relationship will be.  Abby is the main female character and I really related to her and found her extremely likable.  Although at times I wanted to scream at her to stop thinking so much and just be with Travis (the main male character).  Travis was a ball of frustration as well, though.  He was constantly doing something idiotic and I was afraid throughout the whole book that he would ruin everything.  But despite all his dumb decisions, Travis makes you fall in love with him and you can totally understand why Abby wants to be with him.  He has absolutely ZERO relationship experience because all he has ever done is play with girls like they are toys and then throws them away.  What’s great though is that they are perfect for each other.  Both of them have demons from their past that haunt them, but they make each other better.  Apart they are disasters, but together they are a BEAUTIFUL disaster (you like that don’t you :-P).

The other characters in the book are just as likable, with the exception of one.  That one being Parker.  He is Travis’ competition.  Although he never really was competition, Abby was just fooling herself.  America, or Mare, is Abby’s best friend.  They grew up together and went off to college together.  Mare knows all about Abby’s past.  Shepley is Mare’s boyfriend, who also happens to be Travis’ cousin.  This is pretty much how Abby and Travis met.  Shepley and Mare add a little comic relief to the story at times as well as drama.  They are prominent characters and are very important to the storyline, so I like that the author spent time on them and so it’s not like they are just “there.”

This is by far one of my favorite books of all time.  I HIGHLY recommend this book.  It is an extremely well written story and one that I will more than likely read again in the future.  I’m really hoping that she writes a sequel to this book because I’m going to need more Abby and Travis in my life!!


2 comments:

  1. Wow what a raving review. I haven't read thus one yet but it sounds like something I'd love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it was soooo good! I absolutely LOVED it! One of the best books I have read in a long time. I can't wait to read more of this author's stuff.

    ReplyDelete